___________________________________________________________________


play ball

Welcome to All in the Detail... I am so glad you are here! 


Today isn't about Design... today is all about Baseball

gg6ph3v6g7gptk6jhbeel2tpmopeningday2012


The Atlanta Braves home opener against the Milwaukee Brewers is today, Friday April 13th, 2012 and because of this... all thoughts are out the window (or maybe I should say, Out of the Park)

photo-2
P.S. Just to let you know, I - LOVE - BASEBALL. I am a HUGE fan: season tickets; specific food must be eaten at the park; the proud owner of signed baseballs, photos, jerseys and programs; all sorts of paraphernalia tacked to my home's Game Room walls... I even get a little choked up when I hear that great 7th inning song, Take Me Out to the Ballgame by Jack Norworth
Here's his orginial 1908 version:

Katie Casey was base ball mad.
Had the fever and had it bad;
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou Katie blew.
On a Saturday, her young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go,
To see a show but Miss Kate said,
"No, I'll tell you what you can do."

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names;
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."
(I love Katie Casey)

Listen to famous organist Lew Williams play it so well.


Just a little trivia about the song:
Jack Norworth wrote his famous classic, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", in 1908 on scrap paper on a train ride to Manhattan, New York. Norworth then provided those paper scrap lyrics to Albert Von Tilzer who composed the music which in turn was published by the York Music Company and before the year was over, a hit song was born.

Jack Norworth was a very successful vaudeville entertainer/songwriter and spent fifteen minutes writing this classic which is sung during the seventh inning stretch at nearly every ball park in the country. Did you know that Jack Norworth wrote over 2,500 songs, including "Shine On, Harvest Moon", and several other baseball songs, but none more famous than "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"?

Harry Caray, (Harry Christopher Carabina, March 1, 1914 – February 18, 1998), who is credited with singing it first at a ball game in 1971, once said, "I would always sing it, because I think it's the only song I knew the words to!" On Opening Day in 1976, Bill Veeck noticed the fans were singing along with Caray so a secret microphone was placed in the broadcast booth the following day to allow ALL the fans to hear him. Veeck explained to Caray, "Harry, anybody in the ballpark hearing you sing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game' knows that he can sing as well as you can. Probably better than you can. So he or she sings along. Hell, if you had a good singing voice you'd intimidate them, and nobody would join in!"

Did I happen to mention - I just LOVE Baseball?

The one constant through all the years...



If you haven't had a chance to enter my First Giveaway from Friday yet, click here.
It will continue until our YouTube Subscribers Number reaches 1000.