___________________________________________________________________


kitchen #2: before and after

Welcome to All in the Detail... I am so glad you are here!


Day 2: I admit, I've seen my fair share of Kitchen Renovations... I LOVE KITCHEN REMODELS. So... I thought I would share a few of my favorite before and after photos (8 kitchens in all) with ideas on how to bring life back into an outdated kitchen. 
I hope you enjoy!

Before
The kitchen was dreary and boxlike, with a tiny table crammed into one corner. An add-on aluminum bay window overlooking the backyard was out of sync with the traditional style of the 1919 home's exterior.

After
European styling shines in every aspect of this kitchen now. Multicolored solid-surface countertops play off a bold backsplash composed of handmade 3/8-inch glass tile. Solid maple cabinets are simply styled to showcase the wood’s luminous grain.

The Details –

Backsplash: Nature's colors inspired a malachite green, Murano glass–tile backsplash. The terrazzo countertop, custom designed to complement the backsplash, is made from concrete and ground-up glass from curbside and industrial recycling sources. (This heavy material requires solid wood cabinets for support.)

Rangehood: A minimalist wall hood (consisting of a stainless steel "chimney" and glass canopy) allows a nearly unimpeded view of the counter-to-ceiling backsplash. Between the gas/electric cooktop and the electric oven is a handy utensil drawer.

The Floor Plans
Removing the wall between the kitchen and laundry and reconfiguring the perimeter cabinets created a room that's spacious and functional (a small laundry area was built in elsewhere). Additional windows along the exterior wall admit soft light.via